You know when you are touched by kindness that you didn't expect but were so grateful to receive? I received a message from Samantha Walker who knows how much I love to sew and quilt offering to send me some of her lovely Riley Blake fabric. I received a gorgeous box of amazing fabric and for my tutorial for today I chose to use a Doohickey Designs pattern which you can find in the Digi Playground store.
I love using my Silhouette to cut out fabric with fusible web on the back and then use simple applique on my sewing machine.
1. The pattern gives dimensions for you to cut for the pieces but I opted to make my pieces 6X6" so that I could fit four on my mat. I used a Cricut Strong Grip mat which I only use for fabric.
2. I cut the fusible interfacing 1/4" smaller than the 6x6" square so that I don't get any of the fusible goo on my iron and ironing board.
3. Iron the fusible interfacing onto the back of the fabric squares.
4. After cool peel off the paper and stick the fabric square down on your mat.
5. Use a brayer to make sure that the fabric will not move when you are cutting it.
6. Use a Silhouette Fabric Blade in your machine and I use the cutting selection for fabric and always have it double cut.
7. Check your cut before you take your mat out of your machine and cut again if necessary.
With this pattern you always have the option to cut the templates out of paper and trace them onto your paper backed fusible web. I would then iron the paper web onto the back of your fabric square and cut it out on your pencil line.
8. Carefully take your fabric pieces off your mat. You might have to snip a few threads so have a sharp pair of scissors handy.
9. Iron your pieces following the pattern onto the background pieces you have cut according to the pattern directions.
10. I used a blanket stitch on my machine with matching thread to applique my pieces down. You can see them laid out ready to be stitched above.
11. Assemble the table runner and quilt and bind as desired. I machine quilted mine using a paper quilting template of roses.
Table runners are such an elegant gift and brighten any room and don't take very much fabric or effort. Be sure to share with us if you try this one.